Description of the tour:
The gorge of Samaria is the gem of the White Mountains; Hidden in the south part of the Chania district, it is the biggest gorge in Europe, covering an area of 18 kilometres in length.
The gorge’s trail starts at Ksyloskalo (Omalos plateau, 1.227 meters altitude) and after following the river bed, it ends up at the littoral village of Agia Roumeli.
The trail of Samaria is the most visited trail in the whole of Greece, it is excellently equipped with signals and signs which eliminate the danger of getting lost, it is comfortable and very well cared for, mostly with stones and soil. It is not considered a very difficult hike, a vivid proof of which is the fact that hundreds of people cross it daily from the opening (in May) till the closing of its visiting season (in October).
It is a very pleasant hike, not a strenuous one, with many landscape alternations and a versatile environment. One should always keep in mind, however, that though the trail as a whole is not tricky, one should be more careful during some parts of the trek.
The hike is not suggested for: - People facing health problems, or suffering from conditions affecting their lower extremities. - The elderly. - pregnant women
The equipment you must have with you: Proper footwear and socks. (Extra socks is not a bad idea) A hat. Sunscreen. A bottle of water. A swimsuit and a beach towel.
Cost of an excursion to the Samaria Gorge from the Chania area:
The cost of the tour from Bali, Georgioupolis, Chania and Rethymnon is
- Adults (13 years and older) - 35 Euro;
- Children (from 5 to 12 years old) — 18 Euro;
- Babies (from 0 to 4 years) - free of charge, in the hands of parents
- WARNING: it is not recommended to take children under 5 years old with you on an excursion
What is included in the price of the tour:
- Transfer by comfortable bus
- Accompanying a Russian-speaking guide
Paid for by yourself:
- Entrance fees to the gorge 5 Euro, children up to 18 years of age can enter the gorge free of charge
- Entrance fees to the ship -11 Euro for adults (10 years and older), 5.5 Euro (children from 2 to 10 years), children under 2 years are free.
- Lunch at the tavern (average bill 10-15 Euro per person)
How to prepare:
- Comfortable sports shoes — there are sections with ascents and descents along the route
- Trekking poles (desirable). You can buy them at the store in front of the entrance to the Gorge
- Headwear, swimwear, towels